Safety first - release pressure from the valve, make sure it is closed.
- Remove packing gland nuts and bolts.
- Raise gate to full open position.
- Pull up the packing gland to the top of the gate and secure it to the top of the gate.
- Using a packing hook or screw driver, remove all the old packing.
- Carefully clean the packing box.
- Using a pre-cut packing kit, insert packing one row at a time into packing box. Tap down each row of packing into place using a flat bar tool. Packing joints should be located 180° apart.
- Pull packing gland down and tighten nuts and bolts using cross torque method. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.
- Bring valve up to working pressure and tighten the packing gland enough to stop any leaks or drips. Over tightening of the gland will result in reduced packing life.